Turner Classic Movies

              Ever since the “Sundays with Hitch” event last September I have been hooked on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel.  I don’t watch it all the time, but I do frequently check to see which film is showing.  If my mother happens to be in the room when I turn to the channel, I always ask her what film is on.  She has seen practically everything and I figure she’ll know the answer after watching for about a minute.  Very often she does.  I do the same thing when looking at the TV listings, except this time I ask if the film is good.  If she says the film won’t be to my liking, I’ll take her word for it.  She knows what I like and don’t like, including some classics that I have zero desire to ever see.  Occasionally I do come across a film my mother has never heard of or she isn’t around to ask about it.  This can be really exciting because I am experiencing a new (it’s actually old, but new to me) film and am able to introduce it to others.  This does not happen very often when it comes to the classics so I am very happy when it does.
                Now, since I do kind of “check in” on TCM I have a tendency to not see the whole film.  This can be a problem, but not always.  Sometimes I am able to figure out what is going on, but there are a lot of times where it is best to start at the beginning.  I ran into this the other day.  The Fighting Sullivans was on and I came in an hour through, right when the characters were turning from kids into adults.  I watched the second hour and by the end I was curious as to what happened in the first.  Now either I have to wait until the film is aired again, or put it on my movie list.                  
                Films aren’t the only things I discover on TCM.  I also get exposed to a lot of actors and actresses I have always heard of but never experienced.  Some I find I quite like and look forward to when their films are on.  One of these people is Henry Fonda.  12 Angry Men is my favorite film, which is why it was my first ever blog post, but I couldn’t say I was exactly a Henry Fonda fan.  I love the movie as a whole and with everyone working together versus one particular actor.  It wasn’t until I saw Alfred Hitchcock’s The Wrong Man that I began to become intrigued by Mr. Fonda on his own.  That does not mean I began to seek out his films.  As I said, I was intrigued, but I could not say I was fully into his work.  Then a few weeks ago I saw a political film starring Mr. Fonda.  I believe it was The Best Man but am not 100% sure.  It was another one I only partially watched.  Anyways, from what I did see, my intrigue changed to interest.  Now if I see Mr. Fonda’s name in the listing or his face on the TV I’m going to really consider watching, no matter what the film may be.
                The same holds true for Cary Grant.  I had seen him in Hitchcock movies, but it wasn’t until I saw other films of his on TCM that I truly became interested in him as an actor.  As for Jim Hutton, well I liked him because of Ellery Queen.  TCM helps me see more of him.
                One of the great things about TCM is there are not any commercials during their airings.  Yea to being able to watch a film all the way through!  I never have to worry that a part was edited out in order to fit in the advertising.  The entire film is before me and I know I am seeing it as it is meant to be seen.  Even their non-film specials are without commercials.  TCM had a series about the early moguls of the movie industry and during each segment there weren’t any interruptions.  While I will admit a lack of commercials can be difficult for me, I usually hop up during the breaks, I much prefer the ability to watch something all the way through.  It is a better experience and I wish more channels did this.
                Another thing I really like is all the facts the hosts Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz give before and after many of the films.  They give insight into the film and let the viewers know about why certain things were done and how the film was made.  Mr. Osborne goes further with this as he has conversations with actors and actresses.  During their conversations the guests give a personal behind the scenes look into the creation of a film.  Unfortunately I have not seen many of these.  Somehow I don’t catch them when they are on, but I have seen bits and pieces here and there.  The one I have seen is with Jack Klugman.  He talks about 12 Angry Men which of course I’m going to love listening to.  And I must say that I am very sad, because with the death of Mr. Klugman a couple years ago, there are not any more Angry Men.          
                Recently Turner Classic Movies celebrated twenty years on air. I watched the special about their twenty years and became excited all over again about this channel. There are a ton of films left for me to see and I will be watching them on TCM for years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries