Silence

         I will be honest, not a lot of new things have been capturing my attention lately.  Either I’m concentrating on things I have already written about, or I try things and lose interest fairly quickly.  I’ll start books and put them to the side.  Some I keep going with but I read them in short pieces so my mind doesn’t wander away.  All the shows I watch are coming to an end for the season and the new ones haven’t started yet.  As for movies, I haven’t seen too many lately.  I did go to the theatre and see Bears recently.  It was really cute and once again Disneynature did a fantastic job.  Other than that, nothing is keeping my mind from going all over the place.  I think there is too much moving around in it right now.
                The only thing that really seems to be settling down my brain is silence.  I’m not talking about just auditory silence, but also visual.  All the flashing pixels of the TV and computer can be really distracting.  Sometimes they feel louder than actual sound.  So I have taken to turning everything off and enjoying the silence.  By doing this, my thoughts become clearer and I am more aware of my surroundings.  Yes, there may be someone outside mowing the lawn, but to me that’s an environmental sound like a car driving by or birds chirping.  It’s par for the course for where I live and is not a distraction.  That is a very good thing because another distraction is the last thing I need right now.
                Personally I feel there is not enough silence in the world. No matter where we go there is always something going on. Whether it is music playing or a flashing sign, very rarely is anything still. It makes it hard to see or register anything, which is another reason why I have been enjoying silence so much. Without all the outside influences I am able to organize my thoughts and figure out what direction to go in. Nothing feels quite as dire when I get everything in order. While I know I would eventually figure everything out no matter what was going on around me, silence helps me do it all that much faster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries