ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating

                 For the past several weekends I have been watching the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating.  With different events around the world, each competition features different skaters.  Some I have known for years while others I have never seen before.  All of them are competing for medals as well as a place at the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.
                Although I am excited for those who win, my interest does not lie in who gets what medal.  I am far more concerned that everyone does well and that each skater can come off the ice proud of what they have done.  For some this may mean earning a medal.  Others may feel they have accomplished what they set out to do by landing all their jumps or having perfect timing with their music.  As I have never been a figure skater, I don’t know what is going through a skater’s mind as he or she steps out onto the ice.  That’s why it is so great that Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir, and Terry Gannon have commentated most of the events together.  I get the feeling that Ms. Lipinski and Mr. Weir are truly a part of these skaters’ lives.  They know personal things about them such as how they went about choosing their music and what kind of struggles they have had with their programs.  Negative things are always given a positive twist in the end and all three commentators are supportive no matter how many obstacles the skater may have run into.  In addition, Mr. Gannon does a very good job at making sure the insider comments Ms. Lipinski and Mr. Weir make are clarified for the viewer at home.  It becomes quite an education about the inside of figure skating when I watch, but it is one I truly enjoy. 
                There is something new to figure skating this year and that is the inclusion of lyrics in the programs.  No longer does the music have to be instrumental which gives the skaters a wider variety of music possibilities to choose from.  While I like that there won’t be the same music over and over again, I’m not sure yet how I feel about the lyrics.  Sometimes I think they’re great and add something to the program while other times I find them more distracting than anything else.  I have seen moments where the lyrics were fine, but the movements on the ice didn’t seem to quite go with them.  This may be because the skaters aren’t used to working with them yet and are still learning how to put the two together.  I understand this and that is why I’m reserving my judgment on lyric use.  It’ll take a little time for skaters to adapt to the change.  Once they have done this for awhile, then I will decide if I like the use of lyrics or not.
                As much as I am enjoying watching the Grand Prix, I am disappointed that I don’t get to see a lot of it.  For the most part I am only allowed to see select men’s and ladies’ free programs.  I would love to see everybody skate, both short and free programs, as I did during the Olympics.  Unfortunately I don’t think that is going to happen, so I will take what I can get. 
                The Grand Prix will be over in not too long and I will miss it once it is. There are still Nationals and Worlds to look forward to, but those are a ways away. I hope when those competitions come around I am able to find they are broadcast somewhere I can watch. For now I’m going to enjoy what is left of the Grand Prix and hope that next year television devotes as much time, if not more, to it as they have this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries