The Chief Inspector Gamache Novels by Louise Penny

                 I will admit, I am torn about this series.  The mysteries are fantastic.  When I get to that part of the novel, all I want to do is push everything aside and read.  Nothing is more important than solving the mystery and figuring out who the culprit is along with Inspector Armand Gamache and his second in command, Jean Guy Beauvoir.  Gamache and Beauvoir are great characters.  They remind me of Barnaby and Troy from Midsomer Murders, which so far is still my favorite combination of detectives.
                Then we move on to everybody else.  While there are a few other characters in these novels that I like, I can’t say there are many.  This makes it hard to read the novels, but I keep finding myself reserving the next book because the mysteries are so good.  I want to know what other type of situation and murder Gamache is going to get himself wrapped up in.  If that means putting up with some characters I don’t like, I guess I’ll have to do it.            
                So far I have only read the first two books in the series, Still Life and A Fatal Grace.  Currently I’m waiting for the third one to be available at the library.  Let me tell you, I am anxiously waiting because I want to know what happens next to Gamache.  Other than the actual murders he’s investigating, there is also this behind the scenes mystery Gamache does not know about.  It has to do with an old case he worked on.  His superiors are upset at Gamache because he went against their orders and did what he felt was right.  Now they’re out to get him, but it’s not clear what they are fully up to.  Also, how much does Gamache suspect?  I think he may know more than he’s letting on, but I won’t know until I get the next book.  So in the meantime, I’ll talk about the main mysteries in these novels.
                Three Pines is a small village in Quebec.  It is so small, few have heard of it, and it is questionable as to whether or not it is on any map.  Yet Three Pines is where Gamache keeps finding himself called to investigate murders.  The first murder was for someone beloved while the other was for someone hated.  Even though this is a small village, there are a number of suspects for each murder.  Gamache does his best to go into the village and investigate with an open mind until he and his team find the true culprit.  I’m not saying he never wants certain people to be guilty because he isn’t fond of them, but he does pretty well at keeping those desires curbed.  Even if he wants someone to be guilty, he’s not going to force the evidence to suit his needs.  Gamache always wants the proper person to take account for their actions, no matter what his personal feelings may be.
                Beauvoir is not quite so good.  He’s not going to run out and arrest someone without evidence, but he is far more judgmental than Gamache.  He also has a tendency to get a tad full of himself.  Beauvoir often thinks he is better at things than he actually is.  Even if it is something he has never done before, Beauvoir assumes he will be an expert.  He comes up with elaborate fantasies about the accolades he will receive when the world discovers his talent, only to get crashed down to reality when he actually attempts to do the skill he believes he is so good at.  Fortunately for Beauvoir, he has his job with Gamache which he is actually good at.  In fact, Beauvoir is quite the dedicated officer who will do anything for Gamache.  He is very loyal to his superior, and while Beauvoir may jump to judgment, he does take his job seriously and makes sure to do it right.
                The rest of the people Gamache works with are also pretty good, with the exception of Agent Yvette Nichol.  In fact, I dislike her so much, that is all I’m going to say about her.  You can learn more about her all on your own.
                Now we’re on to the villagers.  This is where a lot of my problems lie with this series (other than the one mentioned above).  Some are okay at times, but as a whole I don’t particularly care for the people who live in the village.  They say and do things that make it hard for me to like them.  With what they say and do to each other, I cannot understand how they consider themselves friends.  It does not make sense to me.  The nastiness they exhibit towards each other I find to be unnecessary (this occasionally occurs in the narration too) and it does make me hesitate to pick up the next book.  Then the premise sucks me back in and I find myself staying up far too late reading.  It’s an interesting circle.  One I hope becomes easier with time because it’s hard for me to pass up a good mystery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries