All About Me!: My Remarkable Life in Show Business by Mel Brooks

All About Me!
Photo of book cover taken by Kate Dorsey
    Mel Brooks movies were introduced to me at a young age. With Spaceballs, to be exact. Then Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Somewhere along the line I saw Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles for the first time. All funny movies in their own way. All Mel Brooks.

    When I put All About Me! on the library reserve list, it was the behind the scenes of the films Mr. Brooks has created I wanted to know about. I understood what I was reserving was an autobiography and there would be other elements to the book besides the films. What I didn’t expect was there would be so many other elements. Some I found interesting and read the entire chapter. Others did not keep my attention and I ended up skimming. At first, I was going to skip these chapters altogether, until I discovered there were small stories in them I wanted to read about. One being Mr. Brooks’s relationship with Cary Grant. That was a story I did not want to miss.            

    The book starts, understandably, with Mr. Brooks’s childhood in Brooklyn, where he went by his birth name of Melvin “Mel” Kaminsky. He was raised by a single mother after the death of his father, alongside his three older brothers. Through his early life, Mr. Brooks developed a love of movies and comedy. Two things he was not able to pursue professionally immediately after high school.

    Mr. Brooks’s high school career ended differently than most people’s. He was granted early graduation in exchange for military training. After the training, Mr. Brooks went with the Army to Europe to fight in World War II. When he returned to the United States, his comedy career began.

    Early on Mr. Brooks developed two big partnerships which created two big career moves. First with Sid Caesar, then with Carl Reiner. Both of these men became life-long friends, even after their comedy partnerships ended.

    After Mr. Brooks’s time with Sid Caesar and Carl Reiner, he moved onto scripted TV with the show Get Smart. Then it was onto the movies, which is where my interest in the story really kicked in.

    The Producers was Mr. Brooks’s first film. I have seen it a couple times; although when I hear the title, I think of the stage musical. Still, I found how the movie came together fascinating. Partly because I like Gene Wilder who was one of the stars.

    After The Producers came The Twelve Chairs and Blazing Saddles. Then Young Frankenstein, which was the film I really wanted to read about.

    Young Frankenstein is a film that is always fun to watch. Learning about how the film was made from the start, and how the different cast members came to be part of it, I really enjoyed. I was not surprised to learn everyone had a hard time keeping a straight face during filming; which seems to happen frequently on a Mel Brooks set. It is a funny film.

    More films are covered through the rest of the book. It also talked about Mr. Brooks’s production company, Brooksfilms. It is a production company he created so he could do other types of films without people immediately thinking the film would be a comedy. The company has produced films such as The Elephant Man and The Fly.

    Near the end there is a big chapter on adapting The Producers for the stage. The reason this chapter sticks out for me is because the stage version of The Producers is very personal to me. My mom and I wanted to see it during the preview run in Chicago, but something (I’m not sure what after all this time; it could have been a few things) kept us from doing so. I have seen the filmed version of the stage musical, but it is not the same. That is why forever The Producers will remain a bittersweet memory.

And the Winner is ...
Artwork by Kate Dorsey

    Throughout the entire book, through all his adventures, Mr. Brooks talks about the people he has collected into his life. There are numerous people he has worked with repeatedly, and more often than not, they become friends for life. Some of those friends he meets every week for lunch, and he’s still adding more.

    Mr. Brooks is well into his nineties without any sign of stopping. The only time he seemed even close to doing so was when his wife of forty years, Anne Bancroft, died in 2005. Thankfully, he had good friends and family to help him through that time.

    I am curious to see what Mr. Brooks is going to do next. I have read about something involving a past film being in the works, but I do not know when that will come out. Since I have enjoyed so much of Mr. Brooks’s other work, I will keep my eyes out for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries