Scream

One of my friends is a substitute teacher. Recently she had a conversation with a group of students about classic movies. The movies the students mentioned as classics were from the early 2000s. This sounded very strange to me as I see classic movies as being from the 1960s and before. Okay, I’ll add in the 70s and 80s too. But the early 2000s? That sounds too recent to me.

This conversation was what I had in mind while I watched Scream. First released in 1996, it would certainly be a horror classic in some people’s minds. Again, an odd thought to me because I would see House on Haunted Hill, the 1959 film starring Vincent Price, as classic, not a movie from the 90s, but anyway . . .

I decided to watch Scream because of the release of the fifth movie in the series. My thought was that before I watched the new movie, I should start from the beginning and work my way up to it. At the time I was not sure if I had seen all the movies in the series. I may have, but possibly not all the way through. So, off I went to the library to start my Scream adventure.

DVD cover of the movie Scream. Five actors in front of a terrified woman's face.
Scream
Drew Barrymore, David Arquette,
Courteney Cox, Neve Campbell,
Skeet Ulrich

The danger begins

A brutal killer is on the loose in the town of Woodsboro, California. High school students Casey Becker (Drew Barrymore) and her boyfriend, Steve Orth (Kevin Patrick Walls), have been murdered. Everyone is supposed to be on alert for a killer, especially the other students in the high school.

I say “supposed to be” because most of the students are far more concerned about having something to gossip about than their safety.

Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) is the only one truly alarmed by how Casey and Steve died. Her own mother was raped and murdered the year before. For Sidney, murder is not a form of entertainment.

This becomes even more the case when Sidney is attacked in her home. The attacker wore a black robe and a black hood with a white face mask. This is the same costume Casey and Steve’s killer wore. The killer gains the name of “Ghostface” (voiced by Roger L. Jackson).

Sidney manages to get away. Her boyfriend, Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich), appears soon after and is arrested as a suspect. His quick arrival after the attack is just too coincidental.

To stay safe, Sidney agrees to stay at her friend’s house. Sidney’s father is missing, and after the attack, it is best she is not alone. Her friend, Tatum Riley (Rose McGowan), is happy to have her. There will also be the added safety of her brother, Deputy Sheriff Dewey Riley (David Arquette). He lives at home with his sister and mother, and while Dewey’s not exactly the best police officer in the world, his presence is something.

Back DVD Cover of Scream. A young man with a smoldering look. A frightened young woman on the phone with her friend beside her. A news reporter with her microphone.
Scream
Skeet Ulrich
Neve Campbell, Rose McGowan
Courteney Cox

The danger grows

The killings are bringing attention to the town. With that attention comes reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox).

Gale and Sidney have a very bad history. After the man Sidney identified as her mother’s killer was put in prison, Gale wrote a book about the murder and the man identified, Cotton Weary (Liev Schreiber). This book is the reason why when Gale asks Sidney for an interview, Sidney punches her in the face.

After the attack on Sidney, school is suspended and a curfew is put into place. So of course, someone decides to throw a party.

The party is at the house of another friend of Sidney’s, Stu Macher (Matthew Lillard). While everyone is inside having a good time, Ghostface kills Tatum without anyone knowing.

A full house during the party, it quickly empties when the students hear their principal, Arthur Himbry (Henry Winkler), has been killed. (How can anyone kill the Fonz, really?!) Only a few people are left in the house after the others leave. That is when even more trouble begins.

More danger to come

One of the remaining guests is Sidney’s friend Randy Meeks (Jamie Kennedy). He has spent the entire movie comparing what is happening in Woodsboro to horror movies he has seen. The Halloween series he particularly likes to reference. Completely wrapped up in his horror movie knowledge, Randy doesn’t even notice Ghostface is nearby.

Other than Randy, the only people remaining in the house are Sidney, Billy, and Stu. Gale has planted a camera in the house and is nearby, as are her camera man, Kenny Jones (W. Earl Brown), and Dewey.

With the house empty of partygoers, Ghostface makes his move. 

Watch out, Sidney!

The main target is Sidney, but both Dewey and Randy are attacked as well. Kenny is killed. Billy, Stu, and Gale are injured.

With everyone either hurt or dead, the question is, who is Ghostface? Is it possible this killer is in the group of people I just mentioned?

Hand-drawn drawing. A piece of film and a film reel in front of a purple background.
Film Reel
Kate Dorsey

A movie of its time

It is very different watching Scream on a TV screen rather than a movie screen. Nothing is as big or scary. Even less scary when there are commercial interruptions. I watched a DVD and thankfully did not have that happen.

The age of Scream was apparent as I watched it. When Billy was arrested, the police questioned him about why he had a cell phone. Now a person without a cell phone would be seen as suspicious.

Another age sign was Randy putting in a VHS tape when he was at the party. The fact I watch DVDs would make some shake their heads. A VHS would really cause these people problems.

As for my thoughts on this, to each their own. If you like to stream, fine. Prefer a DVD of some sort (DVD, Blu-Ray, or 4K), go for it. Still prefer VHS? Good for you. In the end, it really does not matter.

Scream 2 I knew I had seen all the way through before I reserved it from the library. Still, I will rewatch it on my way to the newest movie. I am curious to see what other changes I will notice about the way we live compared from then to today. Maybe it is these changes that are what has turned a movie from the 90s into a classic. If that is the case, I may have to rethink my classic movie timeline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries