Face Off


                   Watching how things are created absolutely fascinates me.  This is especially true when it comes to theatre and the movies.  I know I am supposed to have all of my attention on the actors and the story, but so often I find myself wondering how they were able to move a set piece or whether they filmed on a soundstage versus real life.  There are so many aspects that work together to form the final picture.  All I want to know is: How did they do it?  
                Face Off, a competition of make-up artists, is able to satisfy part of my curiosity.  As most competition television shows go, every week there is a big challenge that serves as the justification for elimination.  Some, but not all, episodes also have a smaller, faster challenge to start off the show.  These maybe last a couple hours which is quite different from the elimination.  Those are much larger and can take a few days.  With so much sculpting, molding, and painting, the artists need all this time.  While they definitely need the time for the craft, I highly suspect drying plays a big factor in having so many days to work.  Despite the days given to work, there always seems to be at least one person in danger of not finishing.  Somehow it always gets pulled together, sometimes in very interesting ways, but until that moment it can be a little tense.
                As is expected, each challenge is different.  One had to do with age, another was horror creatures, a third was body painting, just to name a few.  My favorite so far was the Tim Burton challenge.  Then I am quite partial to Tim Burton movies, so this should not come as much of a surprise. 
                This is the second season of the series.  I watched the first season with great excitement and I was thrilled to see the series return.  It did not take me too many episodes to figure out for whom I am cheering.  With not many episodes left, let us see if I have picked the winner.

Comments

Vivianna said…
Hey I watch this too. I think the first season had much better competition than this year's batch. Who do you want to win?

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries