Downton Abbey


                 I was not one of the original watchers of Downton Abbey.  In fact, I did not know the show even existed until the awards committees began nominating it.  While I was intrigued as to what all the excitement was about, it took me awhile to finally get the discs and find out for myself.  At first I did not see the thrill.  My dislike was to the extent that I almost did not get the second disc, but I did.  The reason for my not liking the show was mainly because of one character.  Mary.  I could not stand her.  As a matter of fact, I still cannot.  I think there is a point in each episode where I try to get rid of her.  Thankfully the other characters have begun to shine and I have found so many positive reasons to continue on with the series.     
                The show is about a high society family and the people that work for them.  Starting in 1912 with the sinking of the Titanic, the series stretches quite a few years in the first three seasons, including World War I.  When the series begins one of the big concerns is about who will inherit Downton as Lord and Lady Grantham (Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern) do not have any sons.  They are also worried about who their eldest daughter, Mary (Michelle Dockery), will marry as she is not able to inherit.  The family expects her to marry well, but she is not finding anyone she would be willing to spend her life with.  This is the concentration of nearly the entire first season.  We are introduced to the heir, Matthew (Dan Stevens), and we watch as he and Mary dance around each other trying to figure out their feelings.  Unfortunately, because of this, the other two sisters, Edith (Laura Carmichael) and Sybil (Jessica Brown Findlay) become a bit lost.  The next two seasons they get a lot more attention.   
                Then we have the stories of the people who work in the home.  Some I like and some I do not.  One of the ones that drives me the craziest is Thomas (Rob James-Collier), a footman.  His devious ways really get to me and I frequently want him off the show.  But there are moments where I feel truly bad for Thomas, even when the situation is of his own making.  I roll my eyes a lot at the butler, Carson (Jim Carter).  He is so set in his ways and will not budge an inch despite the drastically changing times.  Two that I really like are Anna (Joanne Froggatt) and Mr. Bates (Brendan Coyle).  A housemaid and valet respectively, they are both very good people who try to do what is right.  Next is Daisy and William.  Daisy (Sophie McShera) is a young and innocent kitchen maid and William (Thomas Howes) is the footman who is crazy about her.  Oh how I cheer for William to get the one he so desires.  I cannot forget Tom!  Not Thomas, but Tom.  The family’s chauffeur, Tom (Allen Leech) is very active politically as well as madly in love with Lady Sybil. 
                     There are so many characters on this show and I have not even gotten close to mentioning them all.  But there is one who outshines everyone else.  Dowager Countess of Grantham, played by the incredible Maggie Smith, steals the show every time she is in the scene.  She has really great lines and Ms. Smith delivers them so well.  Now, do I agree with what the Dowager Countess is saying?  Most often not.  But that does not mean I do not get a kick out of her all the same.               
                Another character I do not want to forget to mention is Matthew’s mother, Isobel (Penelope Wilton).  She gets a bit lost in the upper class society as her heart and intent is more to make a difference in the world.  No matter what is going on Isobel looks to help those who are ill and less fortunate.  She has a really good heart and I wish the other characters would give her more credit.
                As much as I am enjoying the show, there is one thing that is frustrating me.  The characters I like keep getting killed off!  All three characters that have died (I will not say which ones) have been characters I would like to see more of.  I know there are various reasons for writing a character out, such as the person portraying the character is opting to leave the show, but do they have to die?  Just a side note, if they do this to Ziva on NCIS I will be greatly upset.
                With only one disc left before I am all caught up, I am not quite sure what I am going to do next. The next season does not begin airing in the United States until 2014. It does, however begin its broadcast in England this fall. This means I could sneak a peek at a website and see what is happening. Or I could wait a really long time and watch once the season four discs are released. Somehow I have a feeling I will peek, at least once, to see what all the characters are up to.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries