Haven

           After trying a few different new-to-me shows only to come away disappointed, I went into Haven with very few expectations.  I figured if I did not like what I saw, this series would simply go by the wayside with all the others.  Thankfully, that did not have to happen.  I was hooked on Haven from the very first episode.    
                FBI agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) has been sent to Haven, Maine for a case.  She figures once the investigation is over she will go back home, but nothing about the case is what she expects.  Teamed up with local police officer Nathan Wuornos (Lucas Bryant), Audrey discovers Haven is not what it seems.  There are many strange happenings that are incredibly difficult to explain.  While this would frighten some, it fascinates Audrey, but not enough to make her stay.  She completely plans on returning home, but then Audrey discovers that Haven has a connection to her mother, a woman she never knew.  Even though the information she learns is minimal at best, Audrey decides to change her plans and stick around town. 
                It’s a good thing Audrey does, because each case she deals with becomes a little bit more unusual.  I’ve only seen eight episodes and I’m already not fully sure which is the strangest.  I’m thinking maybe the one where the taxidermy animals come back to life.  Although, the rotting food was pretty out there too.  No matter what happens, everyone in town believes these incidents are due to the return of “The Troubles”.  What exactly “The Troubles” are I don’t know yet.  I’m sure I’ll find out eventually. 
                 Of course Audrey and Nathan don’t fully solve the cases on their own.  They do get help and information from the townspeople.  One person they frequently turn to for help (grudgingly by Nathan) is Duke Crocker (Eric Balfour).  The rebel of the town, Duke is a bit on the mysterious side.  He lives alone on his boat and the details of how he makes a living are not fully clear.  It makes me think his endeavors may not be exactly legal, but I don’t know for sure.  Despite Duke’s questionable methods of supporting himself, Nathan is the only person who really has anything against him.  Everyone else has a great time talking to Duke which is probably why he knows so much about what is going on around town.
                Another person who is helpful is the EMT, Eleanor Carr (Mary-Colin Chisholm).  She is a quirky older lady who always knows the right thing to say to lighten the mood.  Also, nothing gets past Eleanor.  She always recognizes when something isn’t right with the bodies she inspects, no matter how subtle it may be. 
                The other helpful people are two brothers.  Vince (Richard Donat) and Dave (John Dunsworth) Teagues run the town paper.  They have done it for years, documenting everything about the town.  Their town knowledge and archives are a great source of information, if anyone can get them to stop squabbling.  Audrey frequently has to break up whatever they are arguing over and bring them back to the point.  The funny thing is, even when they are arguing, Vince and Dave are often quite helpful, even though they don’t usually realize it at the time. 
                  Since I’m not very many episodes in, I don’t yet know where the series is going. The only clues I have are from the commercials I have seen for later seasons. Since there is not too much I can glean from those, I’m still pretty much in the dark, which is exactly where I want to be. I’d rather not know what was going to happen so I can enjoy each and every episode all on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries