Outside

                 There are so many things that prevent me from going outside.  Sometimes it is outside itself that keeps me from visiting it.  The temperatures where I live can be drastic in either direction, making staying inside a much better idea.  That is why when I have the opportunity, it is important for me to walk out my door and see a world beyond my four walls.  I don’t have to do anything truly productive, or even be out for long, but it is important to get at least some fresh air in my day.  Breathing in natural air feels much better than anything that circulates through buildings, no matter what time of year it is.
                I find there are so many things I can do outside, and they don’t all involve some sort of work.  Usually when I’m outside I am either reading or writing.  These are two things I do all the time, but somehow they are even more enjoyable when I am outside and the sun is shining down on me.  Then there are other times where I simply wander around and talk to the plants.  Yes, I talk to the plants.  I talk to the wildlife too.  Sometimes I wonder what my neighbors think when they see me do this, but in the end I don’t really care.  I enjoy what I’m doing, and as long as I’m not hurting anyone, what everyone else thinks doesn’t matter.  My neighbors can think I’m nutty all they want.  I’m going to keep talking.
                Then there is the actual work that needs to be done.  Most of this is weeding.  This may sound torturous, but in reality, it’s not that bad.  In fact, weeding can be quite the stress reliever.  It feels really good when I am able to yank out a stubborn weed, roots and all.  That type of physical exertion can release a lot of stress.  It also gives a great feeling of accomplishment.  I’m always so happy to see a patch of the yard that once was full of weeds become perfectly clear.  If I have had a bad day, at least that is something that went well.  The only downside is I think some of the weeds are pretty.  Those are the ones I hate to pull out and I usually avoid doing it.  I have a tendency to leave those for last, preferably once they have died on their own.
                It doesn’t really matter why I choose to spend time outside, it’s just important that I do it.  Getting some fresh air and seeing the world beyond my door makes a big difference in my day.  Right now I need to do this as much as I possibly can, because where I live, the ability to spend quality time outside is a limited time offer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries