Shattered by Karen Robards

             My cat would like very little better than for me to sit still all day on the chance he may want my company.  I regularly remind him that despite my own desire, I as of yet do not get paid to stay home and read.  With this book, I so wish I did.  It moved quickly and all I wanted to do was keep reading.
                On punishment for missing a court date, research assistant Lisa is sent by her District Attorney boss to the cold case files.  While there she is shown a file and a photo.  It is of a missing family and Lisa looks identical to the mother.  In fact, they could be twins except the photo was taken before Lisa was even born.  Driven to figure out what happened to this family, Lisa begins to investigate and runs into an unknown someone determined to stop her.
                While the mystery is enticing enough, so is the relationship between Lisa and her boss, Scott.  They grew up with each other, Scott a few years older and working for Lisa’s family.  After losing her job and coming back home to take care of her mother, Lisa asked District Attorney Scott for a job.  He hired her on, despite the feelings he has harbored for Lisa over the years.  Not that Lisa is exactly unattracted to Scott.  There is an understandable reluctance to get together, but is does not take too long for this to become resolved.  Scott becomes Lisa’s strongest support when things begin to get out of control.  He; along with a group of teenagers, a quirky intern, and another research assistant; help her solve the mystery and find out what actually happened to the family in the photo.
                This was a really good mystery with well written characters.  As the mystery unfolded, the reader was able to put the pieces together, but it took until the end of the book to get the full story.  Trust me, it was worth the wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Blue Murder

The Brokenwood Mysteries